The Department of Language and Creative Writing, formerly known as “Department of Language Education”, was established in 1987, when our school was renamed as Taiwan Provincial Taipei Normal College. Later, our department continued to grow with the establishment of a Summer M.A. Program in Language Instruction in 2002, and a M.A. Program in Language Education in 2004. In 2006, the name of the school was once again changed into National Taipei University of Education, and our department was officially renamed as the “Department of Language and Creative Writing”, composed of two substantive divisions: Division of Language Education (including the Elementary Teacher Training Program), and Division of Creative Writing. In line with the world-wide trend of Mandarin learning, the M.A. Program of Teaching Chinese as a Second Language is subsequently added to our department in 2012.
The goals of the Department of Language and Creative Writing are as follows:
1. To train professionals in Language Teaching and in Creative Writing
2. To encourage students developing specialties in both Teaching and Creative Writing by having interdisciplinary research and curriculum
3. To enhance students’ language competence in communication and creative writing;
4. Put emphasis on both theoretical and practical aspects, and include multi-cultural elements into research in language education and creative writing
★ Program Goals for M.A. in “Language and Creative Writing”
The M.A program in “Language and Creative Writing”, combining theoretical and practical aspects of language teaching and creative writing, aims to strengthen students’ knowledge and research abilities in the fields of language, children’s literature, literature, linguistics, philosophy, and aesthetics, to meet the trend of education and career needs. By taking serial courses offered by the program, and having hands-on experience in doing research projects, students from our program will be equipped with profound knowledge of both language and creative writing. Students will be able to do research independently through the training of our courses, and to be professionals in both fields.
★ Program Goals for M.A. in “Teaching Chinese as a Second Language”
The master program in “Teaching Chinese as a Second Language” is designed to equipped students with core foundation of Chinese linguistic, literature and culture knowledge, as well as teaching strategies, abilities and experiences. Our master program integrates theoretical and practical aspects of teaching Chinese as a second language. Students under this program will be skilled in doing research independently and practicing teaching at the same time.
★ Program Goals for Ph.D. in “Teaching Chinese as a Second Language”
The Ph.D program in “Teaching Chinese as a Second Language” is established in response to the world-wide growing needs of Chinese language teachers. The program aims to offer teacher training courses for international Chinese language teachers. Based on Chinese language and culture, our teacher training courses provide solid training in both theoretical and practical aspects of Chinese language teaching. Through this Ph.D program, international language teachers will be able to apply these knowledge in their local teaching practices.
To provide our students extra learning opportunities, our department currently offers 3 programs for credits:
1. Program in “Editing and Interviewing”: This program provides related courses regarding editing and interviewing in mass media. Students will be equipped with theoretical knowledge and experience in real practices.
2. Program in “Teaching Chinese as a Second Language” (micro program of this is also available): In response to the growing needs of Chinese language learning throughout the world, and to train international and local Chinese language teaching professionals, this program offers fundamental courses for people who aim for being a teacher or doing research in this field.
3. Advance Program in “Creative writing”